In cooperation with universities in the American and European Universities for promoting high-quality Mandarin programs, Taiwan’s Ministry of Education provides sponsorship to the local universities for promoting the Taiwan Excellent-Mandarin Program.
This Program starts in 2021 and will last for three years; if needed, it may be extended.
- An MOU exists between the local university and its counterpart university in foreign countries.
- Sample activities of cooperation can be as follows:
- Dispatch Mandarin-teaching faculty and exchange faculty to teach Mandarin/English.
- Establish “Taiwan Excellent-Mandarin Scholarship” to encourage U.S. and European students with good academic grade, integrity in character, and fundamental knowledge in Mandarin, to study in Taiwan.
- Promote on-line Mandarin-study materials and courses, and seek accreditation of those courses by U.S. and European universities.
- Offer the Mandarin proficiency tests (“Test of Chinese as a Foreign Language,” i.e., “TOCFL”).
- Offer Mandarin-training programs for faculty from U.S. and European universities. (Second-phase/ optional item)
- Establish Center for Mandarin-Teaching at the U.S. and European universities. (Second-phase/optional item)
- Work collaboratively with Taiwan’s K-12 schools for their bilingual (Mandarin and English) programs.
- The Mandarin-proficiency requirement for those who apply for the “Taiwan Excellent-Mandarin Scholarship” is to pass the Novice 2 level or above of the Mandarin-proficiency test within two years at the time of application.
- Numbers of Scholarship are as follows:
- For short-term Mandarin study (8 to 12 weeks): each participating sister university gets 20 to 40 scholarships to those coming to Taiwan for Mandarin study, together with obtaining an official certificate for credits and an official transcript.
- For long-term Mandarin study (5 to 12 months): each participating sister university gets 2 to 4 scholarships to those coming to Taiwan for Mandarin study, together with obtaining an official certificate for credits and an official transcript.
- Those obtaining the scholarships shall take 15-h required courses per week.
- Each recipient of the “Taiwan Excellent Mandarin Scholarship” gets NT$ 25,000 per month; the duration of the Scholarship depends on the actual time that the recipient spends on participating in the Program.