The Visiting Teacher from Taiwan Program
The importance of Chinese language acquisition in an increasingly globalized world can not be underestimated. In the last several years we have seen a marked increase in the number of American educational institutions that offer Chinese language study program particularly at the high-school level. By equipping your students with critically important language skills at an early stage, your Chinese language program not only broadens their perspectives but also gives them a competitive edge among university applicants.
Taiwan has been at the forefront of Chinese language education. Its rigorous Chinese language teacher training programs are recognized world-wide to produce teachers of unsurpassed skill. Because Taiwan is a democratic country with an education system that is very similar to that of the U.S., its language teachers are well suited to the American classroom.
We invite you to participate in an exciting international exchange: the Visiting Teacher from Taiwan Program. Through this program, school districts are able to recruit Chinese language teachers from Taiwan to teach at the elementary, middle and high-school levels. A native speaker brings an authenticity and international perspective to the classroom – from which students, parents and educators can all benefit. At a time of growing interest in Chinese language, this is an important opportunity to fill the need for highly-qualified Chinese language teachers in schools, or even establish an enriching educational exchange with a school in Taiwan.
Colleges and Universities
With a significant part of American language instruction taking place at the college and university level, it is here that the acquisition of language skills can be most readily and practically put to use. Studies show that bilingual graduates are significantly more attractive to employers, and with the current economic demand being generated in the Chinese-speaking world, graduates with Chinese language skills are sure to be highly sought-after.
For colleges and universities that recruit Chinese language instructors, the MOE provides the instructor with the following as a supplement to the salary furnished by the American institution:
- Benefits to hiring institutions
- Living stipends: (USD $1,200/month; disbursed twice per contract term)
- Roundtrip airfare: one-time reimbursement (~USD $1,530)
- Shipment of teaching materials from Taiwan (USD $300)
- Reimbursements and stipends paid directly to teachers
- Expectations for hiring institutions
- Competitive salary (determined as needed in accordance with teaching load, candidate experience and/or local standards of living)
- Standard benefits (e.g. medical, dental insurance; housing where applicable)
- Application Procedures
- Interested institutions fill out the provided form in order to apply for the grant from the Ministry of Education (MOE) in Taiwan
- MOE will publicize the information and the Cultural Division will forward applications from teachers to the hiring institutions
- Hiring institutions make the final selection directly from the approved list of teachers provided by the MOE